Monday, April 26, 2010

Multicultural Education April 26-May 2: Social Justice


What does it mean to be Black? What does it mean to be white? If a Black person is wealthy and highly educated, does this mean that person is 'acting white'? For example, is Oprah 'acting white'? What does the saying 'acting white' even mean? I believe some might feel if someone is wealthy or well educated they are acting white and defying the expectations of Black people. But I don't agree with this. I believe that people are people, no matter what the color of their skin. Everyone has the innate ability to accomplish great things, however because of race, which is a socially constructed thing, it isn't as easy for some to wok within societal stereotypes as it is for others.
There are multiple forms of oppression in society today. People are discriminated against for being female, gay/lesbian, Black, Latino, Jewish, poor, and having a physical and developmental disability. The question then is, is a male Latino less capable than a Black male? Is a Black female less capable than an Asian female? Why is there such an emphasis on race? I believe all people were truly created equally. However, with that being said, I think everyone is different. Everyone has different gifts and talents, and race does not affect that talent or ability. Race is not biological, it is completely an experience that society has constructed to label people and keep them in different socioeconomic classes. What would our world look like if there was no such thing as affirmative action and no specific race or gender was in complete power because everyone was in fact equal? Unfortunately, not everyone is treated equally. This is why I think teaching social justice in schools is so imperative today.
Schools are forming the future citizens of our society. If teachers today teach equality and multiculturalism to students, we can move one step closer to justice for everyone.
The question is though, how can teachers teach social justice to their students? The first step teachers should take is to make sure students are aware of the unjust society we live in; they can do this through teaching current events. As mentioned by Asa G. Hillard III in the book, Rethinking Multicultural Education, there needs to be more of an emphasis on hegemony rather than race because that is what the real problem is. Often times teachers and parents try to shield children from the world's negativity. But what good is that doing? While I always believe in keeping the material that is being taught age appropriate, it is essential that we talk about real issues also, and through this we can bring social justice to reality. Like Prof. KM Smith always says - parents, community, and teachers need to take responsibility to make sure our children are learning about real issues of race, hegemony, and diversity.


I have posted a link above that discusses racism in America. In the interview Al Roker interviews Charles Barkley on his book "Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man". After watching this interview it taught me that in order for an oppressed group to truly gain social justice, they need to unify together. Charles Barkley says in the interview that "Black on Black" crime needs to stop and people need to stop having children they can't afford (which then leads to more poverty); the way I interpreted this, is that when people in general start having respect for people of their own race or ethnicity and unify together, justice can be a more likely a reality.

3 comments:

  1. When Charles Barkley makes a comment like that I don't think he meant it in a disrespectful way against other Blacks, when you are a part of something you are allowed to say how you feel, positive or negative and express your opinions. If you, made a comment about something negative concerning to Judaism it would be ok, if I did it would not be. It really depends on where you belong, Hilliard even states in his writing that Euro-Anglos had no say in the autonomous naming of Blacks anyway. yes there needs to be unification but it can also be a great thing to "trouble" yourself and those like you in order to make even bigger changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is crazy to label someone as acting black or white. When I was younger, my peers would often tell me I was acting white simply because I would answer questions or hand in my homework on time. It made me extremely uncomfortable and therefore I started performing poorly on purpose to fit in with my "black friends"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree with both comments made on your blog this week. I think its is always more acceptable for a person to critique a group of people they are associated with. And I definitely see anyone who comments outside of that group to be viewed as out of line. Even within our class, at times when it becomes a Black topic, people seem to not want to speak up, because some may not want to offend or feel its not their place.
    I also can relate to Gardith, no one is trying to be White but when doing something associated with being White, you are often marginalized and ridiculed by your peers when an adolescent.

    ReplyDelete